Monday, May 4, 2015

Battling Depression


Each year about 6.7% of U.S. adults experience an episode of major depression. While this illness is more prevalent in women, it does affect men as well. Depression is one of the most life crippling mental illnesses known to man! This is a very “popular” illness, many celebrities battle this life crippling mental illness. Depression stops people from interacting and communicating with friends and family. It will make you feel the need to isolate yourself; which allows the enemy (devil) to manipulate and interrogate you. It smothers you with toxic emotions of worthlessness and will leave you feeling powerless, and cause you to stop doing simple daily activities like; going outside, combing your hair, attending social events, brushing your teeth, eating, and even bathing. I speak from experience not from a story I heard.


Contrary to popular belief, believers of Jesus Christ are not exempt from facing this terrible illness. There are countless examples of God’s people battling against this very same illness in the bible; Abraham (Genesis 15), Jonah (Jonah 4), Job (Book of Job), Jeremiah (Book of Jeremiah; weeping prophet), Elijah (1 Kings 19), and practically the entire book of Psalms is filled with a lot of outcries from David. 

So can I be transparent for a minute? Well, I must say that I have struggled with moments of depression myself. You may say whatttttt how? Someone like you?? A person full of life and so joyous, but let's be clear, I am all of that and much more, but at the end of the day I am still very human. Depression knows exactly what it is doing, it doesn’t attack the weak, it attacks the strong, those that are always joyous, encouraging, strong for everybody else, and loving. So why wouldn’t people like this be a perfect target? We are a threat to the enemies kingdom!! If the enemy (devil) can stop us from doing these things, then he can potentially take out even more people! 

The Word clearly says in Matthew 10:22 “And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.” Meaning the enemy HATES you, because you are a follower of Jesus Christ therefore he will do practically anything to take you out, why not attack you mind?!?!?!? He knows that if he has your mind your actions will soon follow, but a solider NEVER goes into battle unprotected, he goes with his shield up and his armour on. We should be combating the enemy with one of the greatest weapons our Father has provided to us; his Word! When those thoughts that are not of God pop up in your mind I encourage you to begin “casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,” (2 Corinthians 10:5 NKJV) He has given you power, so you MUST use it!!

***Below I have listed a few scriptures that I find comforting during a moment (call it a moment because I will NOT be there long) of depression. Also, I encourage you to search the scriptures for yourself to see which scriptures God would like to reveal to you to spark a healing in your spirit.

*Psalms 34:17-19 NKJV
The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all.
*Psalms 40:1-3 NKJV
I waited patiently for the Lord ; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth— Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the Lord .
*Psalms 30:5 NKJV
For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning.
*John 14:27 NKJV
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
* Psalms 16:11 NKJV
You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
*Isaiah 41:10 NKJV
Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
* Matthew 11:28 NKJV
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
*Psalms 126:5 NKJV
Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy.


I hope and pray that this post was a tremendous blessing to your life. I would like to encourage you to comment and tell your story and share this post so that others battling depression will know that they are not alone, and that God is the ultimate fixer!!


--------DO ME A FAVOR--------



Connect with me:

1. Subscribe to TPT (Tia Pugh Talks) via email at the top right of the blog.

2. IG/Twitter: @HolyGirlSwag21


4. Pinterest/Youtube: @HolyGirlSwag21

5. Google+: +Tia Pugh

6. Check out my boutique www.hgs.storenvy.com
7. Also, have a text message ministry that is completely FREE to you! You'll receive scriptures, encouragement, prayers, & so much more! (starting back-up in 2015)
8. If you would like to sow into this blog, please do so via PayPal email: HolyGhostGirl21@ymail.com